Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My first post...just HAS to be about the Verde River!


There aren't many towns in Arizona that can claim A River Runs through It. Cottonwood is special just because...well...a river really does run through it! Water is precious in this high desert landscape of ours. It seems fitting to start my blog with a picture of the Verde River. This photo was taken at friend Sunny Heartly’s place on the banks of the river. He and fellow musician friend, Dave Sorensen, invited me to an outdoor concert on Saturday. I couldn’t resist walking the short distance to the river to enjoy the beautiful hint of orange hues that the sunset was reflecting onto the river.


Sunny and Dave were having a great time getting everything ready for the concert. They recently finished an album, Sylent Dawn. It features singing, native flutes, percussion, drums, keyboards and guitar. Sunny is also a flute maker. Google Sunny Heartley to learn more.

As usual, the evening's calendar placed me in a couple of different places at once. I stayed at Sunny and Dave's concert for about 15 minutes, then hopped into my truck and drove to the Cottonwood Civic Center in Old Town, where I welcomed square dancers from all over the state who were attending the Cottonwood Roadrunners' annual festival. Long time friend Bob Efros invited me. After I visited with some folks from Tucson who absolutely loved Old Town Cottonwood and its fine dining, eclectic shops, and phenomenal wine tasting rooms, I rushed back to the concert and enjoyed the rest of it.  Loving life in Cottonwood!

Here is today's trivia question: Name the bridges of the Verde River. Check my next post for answers!


No comments:

Post a Comment